It was 20 years ago today (nearly)

Posted in By Carl Brind 0 comments

I had a good catch up today with an old school friend. Its hard to believe that nearly 20 years ago to the day, we were these spotty faced urchins who had just finished their exams. I will always remember my last exam, Business Studies, and couldnt wait for it to finish. That night a group of us headed off into town to the Roof gardens to celebrate. Little did I know 10 years later I would be sitting more exams, this time as a mature student at college. Those 20 years have certainly flown by. So much has happened over those years..some good and some bad memories.
So what was I doing 20 years ago. Well, I really had no idea what I wanted to do for a living. Deep down I knew it was going to be either music or art related. I was in my very first band, rehearsing in a tiny shed at the bottom of someones garden. Luckily theres no tape recordings of this band. I remember having to carry 2 keyboards, an amplifier, keyboard stand and other bits and pieces through Glouster Park to rehearsals and then carry them back, normally about 11 at night. I must have been mad!!! I was so much better when I moved onto guitar. Just the one guitar and amplifier. I still cant believe I used to do that. When we werent rehearsing we would be at the local pubs, watching bands play. Memories of the Roof Gardens...ahh the good old days. Then when things started getting a bit rough in there we used to goto either the Mirren Studio in the Towngate or off to the Castlemayne. Sometimes a hike to the Crown pub would be in order. I have no idea how we used to do it. I used to finish work at 5 and be home for 6. Have a quick shower and grab a bite to eat. We would all then meet up and head off to which ever pub had a band playing. After one or two pints (hmmm) we would walk home, often getting in around 1am. I'd then be up at 6:30-7am to be in work for 8...with no hang over and feeling fine.
Hopefully my guitar playing days arent over. I still have a small collection of guitars and basses. Maybe one day I will blow the cobwebs off them and give them another outing.